Sunday, November 2, 2008

Minestrone Soup

My friend Heather requested my Minestrone Soup Recipe. (I got it from David's aunt.) It is delicious!

1/2 lb bacon

1/2 lb sausage

1 onion (I use sweet yellow)

1/2 t garlic powder

1/3 c fresh parsley

2 t dried sweet basil (spice island SWEET basil)

2 cans bean with bacon soup

2 cans beef broth

1 qt tomatoes

6 celery stalks with leaves

3 carrots

2 c finely shredded cabbage (I use bagged coleslaw)

3 small zucchini

1 c frozen peas


Brown bacon, sausage and onion. In a large pot on low heat add soup, broth, tomatoes and spices. Begin chopping veggies. I like them chopped finely. Simmer soup for about 1 hour. I don't like to over cook veggies. Add the frozen peas at the very end or they turn gray green.


This soup is delicious and quite healthy. The sweet basil is apparently one of the tricks. Hope you enjoy.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks Nic. Where do you find SWEET basil?

Nicole said...

Heather,
Look for the brand Spice Island. It is in a glass jar. Like a mini Mason Jar. It should be at most groceries but I'm sure Smiths would have it.

Erin said...

This definitely is the best soup. Yum! Are we ready for dinner groups yet?

Jerry said...

The soup was good. I like soup a lot.