Friday, March 6, 2009

The Birthday Cake Disaster!

So here is the cake disaster story. I usually really like to make birthday cakes, but this year we had a little trouble. In the past Truman has had a few birthday cake douses. My favorites were probably the frog and Mickey Mouse. This year the cake, or cakes were a total flop. Cake #1 was suppose to be a delicious Lemon Pound Cake. I did not grease and flour the pan and it would not come out. Cake #2 was a Chocolate Ganache Cake that is fabulous. While I was cutting the cake I could not figure out why the knife would not easily slice through the top of the cake then I realized in my paranoia about having the 2nd cake stick in the pan I took an extra precaution and lined it with parchment. It came out of the pan easily but then I had to run to my friend Erin's house to look at a cut on her little girls forehead. When I got home I quickly made the ganache and poured it over the cake. I didn't realize that I hadn't removed the parchment. Needless to say I felt like a complete Moron but the end of the night. Oh well they both tasted pretty good. Truey next year you can have a kid party AND I'll make sure that your cake is amazing.



My Kitchen Helpers. I remember as a kid my mom always let us lick the bowl and the beaters.




Truman put her in her apron. (I just realized she has a crooked smile like I did when I was little.)


Can you tell what I am saying? (%^$$#!)
"I am retarded and should give up cooking."

11 comments:

Sarah said...

happy happy birthday to you little Truman- wish we could have been there to partake in your cake- sounds familiar with my cake issue on Jacob's birthday last year. I don't do well making cakes. Hope you guys are doing well. Miss you all a ton. loves.

Cheri said...

what a funny story. I don't even try to make cakes. I think baking in general takes a talent I don't have. I have tried a cupcake receipt lately and it turned out pretty good. I think any mom that tries to make birthday cakes should get a metal. I love your photos.

Chris said...

You are not retarded! My kitchen disasters are innumberable! They look delicious and I love your apron! Looks like it was a fun party. I am excited to check out the new Nordstrom's.

Natty said...

Sorry Nic, that comment from Christopher was actually from me! Although I think Chris would like to go check out the new Nordstrom's as well!

Jessica O. said...

We all have cake disasters. My husband has to fix my cakes. The cakes were delicious.

Denise/Nene said...

Ok, I think you need to email me the recipe for the chocolate ganache cake. Side note: no parchment paper please. kneaknea@hotmail.com

Kim Ward said...

YOu are a great cook and host. It is nice to know not everything you do turns out perfect, because you are pretty pulled together.

Heather said...

Nic. I hear you. Some days I feel like it would have been better to not have even made an attempt. At least they were still good enough to eat!

Turpin Times said...

That is so funny! For some reason it reminds me of the good ol' days of 4-H.

Lori Smith D'Alba said...

Nicole: You are the best! I've been crazy with work and just read your comment. Thank you so much. And I'm ordering the book tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your blog and the slice of life from the Stohl family. I continue to learn from you. Really!

Erin said...

Sorry about the cakes, but thanks for saving the day--7 stitches later . . .
Everything usually looks like a professional did it, so I guess it was your turn for a flop. Hey, everything wasn't bad--you have cute little Truey!!