Sunday, September 14, 2008

My sweet Dad!

I have a terrific dad, and I have always been a little bit of a daddy's girl. Some people think my dad is a bit gruff but he is really a big softy, especially when it comes to his girls. When I was little I remember walking with my dad and holding his pinkie finger. He also loved it when I would scratch his back or rub his feet. He nick named me soft hands because I had a gentle touch. I remember my dad would tell us stories and he would change them to make them extra funny and we loved it. My dad would always take us for a treat when my mom was working. We loved buying a candy bar or getting dilly bars from Dairy Queen. My dad liked his girls to look pretty and he would roll our hair in curlers when my mom was gone. He still likes curly hair best. My dad was always very kind to people that were down on their luck and he is a good example of anonymous charity. My dad gives good advice and he is an ADORABLE grandpa. He is soooo pleased with his grandchildren that it is almost funny. He calls Lucy several times a week to talk to her on the phone and is very happy when she jabbers back to him. I feel so BLESSED to be his daughter.

I haven't been blogging lately because I have been so worried and concerned for my cute dad. Many of you know my dad was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer at the end of July. August 18th he had his kidney removed. My dad's health hasn't been very good the last few years and we were very concerned that he could have serious complications during his surgery. We were very blessed that the surgery went well and they think the cancer hasn't spread. My parents have been remarkable through all of this. Cancer is scary and it is a feeling of total helplessness. Dad we love you so much, we pray for you often because it is the only thing we can think of to do. During our prayers my boys almost always remember to bless their grandpa and if one of them forgets the other one will say you should have blessed grandpa. Then we say another pray to remember to bless him. Dad I love you and I'm glad YOU are MY dad.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

oh my gosh. . . why is this the FIRST time I have heard anything about your dad? My heart aches for you, your family, and your incredible dad. I am so so sorry and will definitely keep you and your fam in my prayers. I hope it only goes up from here. love and miss you a ton.

Turpin Times said...

That was a sweet post. I am glad your Dad is doing well.

Erin said...

I love your dad too. I'm glad he's doing well.

Jen said...

You are taking lessons from Kim, now your posts are making me teary. Your dad is wonderful. He always makes me feel special whenever I see him. I will keep him in my prayers as well.

Jessica O. said...

Our dad is the best. I also remember mom taking the curlers out and sometimes I was worried we would need scissors. He is the sweetest.

Heather said...

I love Big Jer.

Tami said...

I'm so glad he is doing well! It's very scary when your parents are sick. You feel so helpless. He sounds like a wonderful man, and he did a good job with you! I hope all continues to go well! Love ya!

Natty said...

i remember rubbing jerry's feet so we could have a sleepover. i love big jer and am glad to hear he is recovering. tell david hello for me. i miss the stohl gang believe it or not, but baby drake is wonderful. you mothers are amazing! seriously, this past week has opened my eyes to how incredible mothers are!

Kim Ward said...

Dad is the best. We love him and think he is a wonderful cottenball. This is now and affectionate term used by my chldren. It makes me laugh. Good tribute to Dad!